The purpose of the Competition is to promote innovation in IoT concepts, products and services based on Z-Wave technology. The Competition seeks innovative applications that could be utilized and commercialized in the open market.
The competition is open to all companies and individuals 18 years of age or older as of 1 May 2016, except: the Organizer, employees of the Organizer; judges of the Competition; the Organizer’s Board of Directors, Technical Advisory Board or Committee Chairpersons, and direct family members of any of those individuals.
There will be no limits on company size except no publicly traded companies are eligible to apply.
- Submission period. The period for submission of Applications will open at 12:00 a.m. PST on 15th day of May and run as follows: the first round will close at 12:00 a.m. PST on the 14th day of the August. The second round will open at 12:00 am PST on the the 15th day of August and close at 12:00 am PST on the 14th day of November. The third round will open at 12:00 am PST on the 15th day of November and close at 12:00 pm PST on the 14th day of February 2017. The last and final round will open at 12:00 am PST on the 15th day of February 2017 and close at 12:00 am on the 14th day of May 2017.
- Entries received before the Entry Period will not be considered unless they are re-submitted during the Entry Period. Entries received after the Entry Period will not be considered for the current month. Each Submission must include a fully completed entry form. Partially completed entries will be disqualified from further evaluation and will be discarded.
- The owner of the submission chosen as the winner each quarter is given 72 hours to return signed documents and 48 hours to approve a press release; failure to do so will result in the runner-up being chosen as the winner for that quarter.
Entry Requirements and Details
Participants must register for the Competition by using the website entry form and will be required to supply specific personal data that will be electronically saved, used and processed by the Organizer in order to carry out the Competition and award prizes.
By registering for the Competition, each participant recognizes and affirms that the participant has all unrestricted rights necessary to submit the entry, and that: (i) the entry does not defame or invade the publicity rights or privacy of any person or entity; (ii) the entry does not infringe upon any person’s or entity’s intellectual property rights, including the participant’s employer, if any; and (iii) participant’s employer, if any, does not have any policy prohibiting participant’s participation in the Competition.
Each award will be considered based on its own merit but will be categorized for the sake of organization and also for PR and marketing opportunities. Categories could include:
- Aging in Place
THE RECEIPT OF ANY PRIZE BY THE PARTICIPANT IS CONTINGENT UPON THE PARTICIPANT ENTERING INTO AND ACCEPTING THE TERMS AND CONDITION OF THE Z-WAVE DEVELOPMENT KIT LICENSE AGREEMENT PRIOR TO RECEIVING ACCESS TO THE Z-WAVE SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT.
NO CONFIDENTIAL RELATIONSHIP
PARTICIPANTS SHOULD NOT SUBMIT ANY CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AS PART OF THEIR Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION. SIGMA DESIGNS, INC. AND Z-WAVE LABS ASSUMES NO LIABILITY FOR DISCLOSURE OR USE OF DATA, IDEAS, KNOW-HOW, OR TECHNICAL INFORMATION SUBMITTED AS A PART OF PARTICIPANT’S Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION AND WILL ONLY ACCEPT PARTICIPANT’S Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION ON A NON-CONFIDENTIAL BASIS. AS SUCH, THE SUBMISSION OF A PARTICIPANT’S Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION DOES NOT ESTABLISH A CONFIDENTIAL RELATIONSHIP OF ANY KIND BETWEEN YOU AND SIGMA DESIGNS, INC. OR Z-WAVE LABS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. IN THE EVENT THAT A PARTICIPANT INTENDS TO KEEP ANY PROPRIETARY INFORMATION SUBMITTED IN THE Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION CONFIDENTIAL, PARTICIPANT MUST NOT SEND SIGMA DESIGNS, INC. OR Z-WAVE LABS AS PART OF PARTICIPANT’S APPLICATION. PARTICIPANT HEREBY GRANTS SIGMA DESIGNS, INC. AND Z-WAVE LABS, A LICENSE TO USE ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED BY PARTICIPANT AS PART OF THEIR Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION WITHOUT ANY RESTRICTION, EXPECTATION OF COMPENSATION BY SIGMA DESIGNS, INC. OR Z-WAVE LABS, INCLUDING COPYING OR DISTRIBUTING DATA, IDEAS, KNOW-HOW, OR TECHNICAL INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THEIR Z-WAVE LABS CONTEST APPLICATION TO VARIOUS SIGMA DESIGNS, Z-WAVE ALLIANCE, OR Z-WAVE LABS GROUP MEMBERS FOR EVALUATION.
Participants are solely responsible for protecting any and all Intellectual Property Rights in any Submissions made as part of their Z-Wave Labs Contest Application. Participants are also solely responsible for making an independent determination that they are authorized to submit a product or prototype idea in the Contest by notifying their employer or any other party who may have rights in anything contained in the Z-Wave Labs Contest Application. Sigma Designs, Inc. or Z-Wave Labs has the right to disqualify any Participant’s Z-Wave Labs Contest Application in its sole discretion and at any stage of the Contest prior to the awarding of prizes in the event that Sigma Designs, Inc. or Z-Wave Labs receives any notification that a Participant did not have all rights required to make the submission in Participant’s Z-Wave Labs Contest Application.
Each participant grants Sigma Designs, Inc. and Z-Wave Labs each of the following unlimited, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free rights:
- To use the name, photograph or likeness of participant in any publicity or promotion relating to the Contest or Sigma Designs, Inc. and Z-Wave Labs;
- To use, demonstrate, photograph, and display, the participant’s prototype or product idea in any publicity or promotion relating to the Contest or Sigma Designs, Inc. and Z-Wave Labs.
- To use any information provided by Participant as part of their Z-Wave Labs Contest Application without restriction, expectation of compensation by Sigma Designs, Inc. or Z-Wave Labs, including copying or distributing data, idea, know-how, or technical information contained in Participant’s Z-Wave Labs Contest Application to various Sigma Designs, Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, or Z-Wave Labs Group Member for evaluation.
Limitation of Liability
IN NO EVENT WILL SIGMA DESIGNS, INC., Z-WAVE ALLIANCE, OR Z-WAVE LABS OR THEIR AFFILIATES BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF, RESULTING FROM, ARISING IN CONNECTION WITH OR PARTICIPATION IN, THE CONTEST, INCLUDING THE NEGLIGENCE OF OTHER PARTIES OR THE NEGLIGENCE OF ANY OTHER PARTICIPANT IN THE COMPETITION.
Termination of Contest
If for any reason the Contest is not capable of running as originally planned because, in Sigma Designs, Inc., the Z-Wave Alliance, or Z-Wave Labs’ sole discretion, an event has occurred to affect the security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Contest, Sigma Designs, Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, or Z-Wave Labs reserves the right to terminate, modify or suspend the Contest at any time. In the event the Contest is so terminated, Sigma Designs, Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, or Z-Wave Labs will have no obligations or liability of any kind to any Participant.
By submitting a Z-Wave Labs Contest Application, each Participant agrees to comply with these Terms and Conditions. Sigma Designs, Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, or Z-Wave Labs reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any Participant that Sigma Designs, Inc., Z-Wave Alliance, or Z-Wave Labs finds to be tampering with the Contest in any manner or acting in violation of these Terms and Conditions. By participating in the Contest, participants acknowledge that all decisions of Sigma Designs, Inc., Z-Wave Alliance or Z-Wave Labs and the judges are final and binding in all respects.
Z-Wave Alliance Membership
Z-Wave Alliance FULL membership is subject to execution of a Z-Wave Alliance membership and confidentiality agreement. The Alliance reserves the right to use the company and/or individual’s likeness in ongoing PR and marketing opportunities as it relates to Z-Wave Labs and their participation.